- Create a Culture of High Expectations -- set the goal of a 100 percent graduation rate.
- Incorporate college and career planning into classroom curriculum, provide scholarship and loan information and organize college tours and career fairs.
- Identify and engage students at-risk of dropping out. Create an early warning system using indicators such as attendance, behavior and credit deficiency to identify at-risk students and create a strategy for re-engaging them.
- Help kids understand the financial impact of dropping out.
- Make sure every student has one caring adult in their life.
- Identify and change policies that may prevent students from staying in school.
- Invite in student voices – engage diverse perspectives on school climate and barriers to reaching graduation.
- Promote volunteer opportunities that engage families and community partners at your school.
- Be an advisor to a student group and incorporate service-learning activities into your curriculum.
To join the Graduation Matters leadership team, email Lacey Spencer.