Chief Development Officer
The results-driven team at United Way of Cascade County (UWCC) in Great Falls, MT is seeking an experienced professional with a successful development record. The position offers an excellent opportunity to achieve significant career growth, initiate new and diverse resource development strategies, establish and strengthen relationships and manage a proven annual fundraising campaign. This position works with a team of staff and volunteers to enhance markets and build long-term donor relations dedicated to strategic health and human services work that improves lives in Cascade County. This position reports directly to the President.
UWCC works to achieve lasting change through innovative approaches, collaborative partnerships and community initiatives that enhance the quality of life in Cascade County. UWCC has revenues of approximately $1.5 million and a staff of 6 employees, the organization collaborates with other non-profits, community stakeholders, businesses, and government to positively affect Education, Income and Health outcomes. United Way of Cascade County is a key partner in making Great Falls and the surrounding area a great place to work, play and live. UWCC offers a competitive benefits package.
UWCC is committed to providing equal employment opportunity and to comply with federal and state laws concerning equal opportunity in employment.
Position Description: The Chief Development Officer position is responsible for establishing and strengthening organizational relationships in order to allow the advancement of the mission of United Way of Cascade County. The individual filling this role will work closely with staff, volunteers and community partners to achieve Community Impact goals. This position is an integral part of United Way’s commitment to excellent customer service by facilitating communication and relationships with donors – individuals, businesses, volunteers, foundations and key stakeholders.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Relationship Management: manage corporate and individual relationships to strengthen financial support that will advance the organization’s standing and effectiveness in the community. Develop a year-round, comprehensive strategy:
Annual Campaign: ensure success by working directly with the President, Board, Campaign Chair(s) and Cabinet to develop and implement annual campaign plan. Carries out, within the campaign structure, the recruitment, motivation, training and support of the campaign volunteers. This area will include the following in support of the campaign:
- Initiate and work with Director of Marketing on the development of campaign marketing strategies including materials and media relations.
- Relationship & team building with campaign volunteers and business contacts in collaboration with the President and Campaign Chair.
- Plan events to support campaign success.
- Initiate and coordinate the training program for Campaign Cabinet, Loaned Executives, Key Volunteers and Internal Company Coordinators.
- Manage Loaned Executives on daily campaign duties.
- Work to ensure accurate campaign data input and reporting.
- Provide professional leadership and support to the Campaign Chair and Cabinet.
- Develop and implement strategies to strengthen and diversify funding sources and accounts. This will include development and management of appropriate affinity groups.
Major Gifts/Planned Giving: manage all aspects of leadership giving ($1000+) and planned giving, including promoting and building the endowment.
- Manage and utilize data to prospect and cultivate relationships with leadership donors.Coordinate involvement with board leadership and President in solicitation of leadership gifts.
- Initiate and work with Director of Marketing on the development of marketing materials specific to leadership and planned gifts.
- Strengthen Emerging Leaders and other potential affinity groups to cultivate relationships in identified demographics.
- Develop and implement thank you and recognition strategies, such as events and communications for Leadership Giving.
- Secure sponsorships for special events.
Grants: develop and implement a comprehensive strategy to maximize secured grants to support the community impact work of the organization.
- Identify, analyze and pursue opportunities for foundation support for established organizational goals.
- Maintain record keeping associated with prospect research and development.
- Manage grant seeking process, reporting requirements and associated relationship tasks with funders.
- Preferred Bachelor’s degree (in business, marketing or appropriate field) or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum of three years related experience in relationship management, non-profit resource development or sales.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Demonstrated public speaking ability.
- Computer literacy with a working knowledge of standard office software and ability to learn custom accounting and campaign software.
- Demonstrated ability to supervise and motivate staff and volunteers.
- Ability to develop, prioritize and complete work plans, goals and objectives.
- Ability to work independently.
- Valid driver’s license and automobile insurance.
- The Chief Development Officer demonstrates a commitment to professional growth and quality personal performance while also demonstrating the ability to function effectively as a member of a team of staff and volunteers.